Still, they let her stay there for another night and the following day they took her by boat to a local hospital located in a small nearby town. If she wanted to graduate from high school, Juliane had to return to Lima to finish classes and take her exams. You cannot change it. The flight was meant to be an hour long. Koepcke’s experience, having been widely reported, is the subject of one feature length fictional film and one documentary. As she drifted, she saw the roof of a house on the riverbank, or believed she could hear the clucking of chickens.

I heard the incredibly loud motor and people screaming and then the plane fell extremely steeply. Juliane swam out into the middle of the river, covered as much distance downstream as she could, and then swam back to the shore to spend a sleepless night huddled up on the bank. I could only hear the wind in my ears. Amongst the passengers was a bag of sweets. One morning, after a few days of this, Juliane felt a sharp pain in her upper back. Juliane Diller putting on a glove before crawling into a fallen tree that is home to bats with sharp teeth A passion for photography: Then we were in the midst of pitch-black clouds and a proper storm with thunder and lightning. She had what many, herself included, considered a lucky upbringing, filled with animals.

I always suspected that for him it was a problem that I survived and not my mother. She went on to earn a doctorate dillee Ludwig-Maximillian University and even returned to Peru, and Panguana, to conduct research on bats for her thesis paper. It took half a day for Koepcke to fully get up.

The clouds became darker and darker and the flight became more turbulent. She had received her high school diploma the day before cilm flight and planned to study zoology like her parents. Her father suggested it, noting that the area had an abundance of bats. Following in her parents footsteps, Juliane studied biology at the University of Kiel, and graduated in However, in her exhausted state, the short trek took dilldr hours.


The LANSA Flight 508 Crash: Juliane Koepcke and 11 Days of Survival

She planned to study for two years, and then take the entrance exam at a German university. That Christmas was the first anniversary of her death. Her mother had apparently survived the fall from the plane as well. Once again, her time at Panguana served her in good stead. In they had founded a biological research station, Panguana, deep within pristine Amazonian primary forest, and Juliane has lived there for a year and a half prior to the tragic catastrophe.

And they taught her life lessons for living in the jungle, including how to successfully navigate over terrain choked with undergrowth and sprawling tree roots, that you should never put your boots on without shaking out the poisonous spiders first and how to follow flowing water if she ever became lost. I was definitely strapped in [the airplane seat] when I fell. Juliane followed the small trail up the bank, which led to a small hut.

The flight was meant to be an hour long. Report a bad ad experience. My mother and the man sitting by the aisle had both been propelled out of their seats. Five-year-old Juliane is thrilled by her tame White-throated Toucan Photographs: As she drifted, she saw the roof of a house on the riverbank, or believed she could hear the clucking of chickens. She was being burned by the sun while floating down the river during the day. Koepcke found the experience to be therapeutic. Plant, animal and insect identification were also a large part of her education.


Both of her parents were German zoologists who moved to Peru to study wildlife. Pets came with the territory early on: It jhliane not a mirage.

Like her parents, she studied biology at the University of Kielgraduating in One morning, after a few days of this, Juliane felt a sharp pain in her upper back.

Ciller March ofJuliane Koepcke had recovered and returned to school in Lima. These skills save her life after the crash.

Juliane Diller – Panguana

Then she heard voices. Retrieved 24 March They belonged to three Peruvian missionaries who lived in the hut. Juliane agreed, and returned with Herzog to the crash site. Long flights are difficult. It took about two years to accept it.

I counted the worms when they started to slip out. With the help of a local pilot, she was airlifted to a hospital — and her waiting father — in Pucallpa. She awoke to a startling sight: Juliane Koepcke had a broken collarbone and deep gash on her calf.

Then everything sped up. She later discovered that her mother had initially survived the crash, but died from her injuries several days later. His empathetic questions and his ability to truly listen, as well as the chance to return to the site of my terror, were dillr best therapy.

She spent what remained of the night in the hut, able to finally sleep for a period of time.

Then, inwhen Juliane was 14, her parents moved, with her in tow, from Lima, Peru deep into the remote jungles of the Amazon.